Thursday, November 12, 2009

American goddess

We went to a play tonight at Cedar Crest College. My cousin Carrie is in the show. The play was well written. The different characters complimented one another and each actress drew out the historical person they were playing. They came alive. The ladies seemed to enjoy both the persona and the performing. The set was simple but conducive to the theme. The costuming was exceptional.

Some thoughts about the theme - The Role(s) of Woman:

I was reminded of God's original design - male and female - equally created in His image. I was reminded of how far from that design we have fallen. Some men take advantage of some women. Some women use men to get what they want. The church has failed to do much more than maintain a status quo by accepting that "That's just the way it is." That's really not good enough.

People of both genders discriminate against those who are "different," especially by race and skin color. None of us are totally immune to this plague upon humanity because at various times and places we are either ashamed or afraid, and discrimination is always a defensive move.

I felt refreshed and hopeful for our future. I want to be a person who functions from a couragous core of love for others that casts out my fears. I want to be a person who encourages and brings out the best in others. In other words, I want to faithfully follow Jesus. This is how He lived and died. I want to say, "Me too."

Thank you , ladies, for a wonderful evening. Thank you for reminding me of heroines and heros, the persons who make this world a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment