Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Happy Birthday

Yesterday was Alex's birthday. No longer a teen, but not yet quite (legally) a full adult, he entered the limbo world of 20 years old. Alex is becoming quite the young man - making more mature decisions - developing a longer view of life; all important transitions we must each work through.

I offered to go out for dinner for his birthday. He said he would rather eat and celebrate at home. It seems he likes home cooking better. I was very pleased.

Alex is thinking about going away to college next year instead of the local community college. I'm glad for him. But I'll miss him when he goes.

Children grow up, get married, move out, have children of their own. It all seems so fitting and natural. Then suddenly the grandchildren are going to college and you realize you ARE getting older, and you wonder, "What happened? How did all these events of life just slip by?"

Solomon is right. There is a time for every purpose under heaven.

I think my purpose in life, at least for my family, is to be steady point of reference. It's not to tell them what to do.; that's their parent's battle. Rather, to provide stories and experience and perspective, to help them learn HOW to decide what to do. We move from control to wisdom. In preaching terminology; no longer the sage on the stage, but the guide on the side.

I first realized all this when I decided to let the grandkids eat only what they wanted to eat. I had finally figured out they would live any way, and it was a lot more joyful for all of us if I just let go of being in charge.


1 comment:

  1. No longer the sage on the stage, but the guide on the side......I would rather think of you as the common bond that keeps us all together. How about "cheesy joke-meister?" I do not wonder where my quick wit and rediculous puns comes from. I can only hope Alex has lived with you long enough to keep up!

    ReplyDelete