Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The goddesses - final post

OK, I admit it - I didn't get it at all that the 4 dancers represented earth, wind, water, and fire. I made no connection between Greek mythology and American woman.

Here are some possibilities that I did think of:

1. A pleasant way to segue between monologues.
2. A stereotypical contrast between the Playboy view of woman and a real woman who makes a difference.

I really hoped the latter was not the case, since that would posit brains and courage in a battle with physical beauty - another stereotype of woman that is dehumanizing.

Thanks for thinking with me on all this. Wrestling with ideas is the first step on the path of wisdom.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha. I did think Greek Myth - but more as sprites who were creating the women to change the course of history. Of course, once it was pointed out that they were indeed the four elements, that made a little more sense.

    ReplyDelete